Friday, May 16, 2008

To drink, or not to drink, that is the question!

Wow, I'm not sure I even want to open up this topic, but it's got to start somewhere, so..... here it goes.

I am really going through some inner turmoil right now, seeking God and praying about having a drink every once in a while.  Is it bad?  Is it good?  Does it matter?  Is it a "bad witness"?  I think the answer may be yes to each of these, just as easy as it is no to each of these.  

I've really been reading and praying over 1 Cor 8 the last few days and I do believe I'm seeing that topic in a new light.  For some reason, call me weird, I always thought that chapter was about not causing someone with an issue to fall back into an issue, (i.e., me having a drink, causing someone who is an alcoholic to think it's ok to have a drink, etc.)  Of course, it may be ok for me, but not ok for them, that's up to God, but I believe what's being said is that if it could cause offense or confusion, or any doubt among the people who see it, then I probably shouldn't be doing it.  Not because it (the drink) is wrong for me, but simply because it may impeded someone's relationship with Christ.  I'm not a theologian, in fact, I barely read my bible sometimes, in fact, I probably read other books much more than the bible, anyway, back to topic.  

I don't have a problem having a beer with a pizza, or having a margarita at Chili's over dinner, or having wine at Olive Garden, etc. I don't think it's right to do in front of anyone that does have an issue with it either, though, even though I have freedom in that.  Of course, that's a totally different issue, freedom in Christ, and that whole new "movement".  Not saying it's good or bad, again, trying to figure out what I believe.   I'm just looking to solidify my values/beliefs about alcohol.  
I would love to hear some thoughts on this.

6 comments:

  1. It is a tough issue. And of course, having kids throws another twist into things for me. I think I am O.K. with the occasional drink when out with Ryan for dinner. We do not keep it at the house though. And if it is an issue with someone I am with, I would totally not have anything. Never being a drinker anyway, I have no "past issues" with it so it is O.K. with me to have a drink. I think the action of drinking alcohol can bring up so many issues with others though, based on their past experiences involving themselves or loved ones. And then thinking about why we want to drink in the first place is another issue - is that the way we relax, relate to others, cope? Or does it just taste good? I go with taste! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been discussed quite a bit between me and group members. We have some that think it's ok. Here's my test for it. How does the Holy Spirit deal with me when I am thinking about it or doing it or thinking about doing it. Guess what - I'm convicted. I don't want to do anything that I don't want my kids to do. I also give this test to things like drinking: Would I do it in front of my pastor? Well of course not! Then, why wouldn't I if it's ok? I want to be as much like Christ as humanly possible. In order to do that and be the example I need to be, drinking has no place in this girl's life.

    I know I sound like a goody 2 shoes, but I've been away from the will of God for so long, I want to be as close to him as I can possibly be now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one issue I have with what was said is this: Kris said one test that she uses is "would I do it in front of my pastor? While I agree with the logic in that, in the case of actually drinking, but then NOT drinking in front of your pastor, then you are being inauthentic, but maybe you simply wouldn't because, like Paul talks about in 1 Cor 8, you simply wouldn't want to offend them.

    I believe that once I make up my mind, if I choose to have a drink, I wouldn't mind having a drink in front of my pastor. Is that too unrealistic to even think i twould happen? Maybe the other thing that is too unrealistic for it to ever happen is for a pastor to be ok with it.

    Just causing a little more discussion while I'm trying to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know the pastor test is probably a bad test now that I think about it. Sometimes I think I put him up on a pedestal, and there are other times when I treat him in ways that I think "I can't believe I just said that to my pastor."

    I really love what the bible tells us in 1 Cor 8. And to be quite honest, that still small voice never points me in the wrong direction if I listen. I would feel convicted to have a drink in public. The last thing I want to be is inauthentic, and I'm being real with you right now. I want to be the best example I can be for our people, my kids, etc. I know I'm far from perfect, and I always admit my shortcomings to our folks too. I'm brutally honest about myself.

    But every day I strive to be as much like my Savior as possible. He's everything to me Robert - everything! So I listen to that voice - the one that tells me, Kris, you don't really need to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God isn't the author of confusion. If it's right in His sight, you won't be confused. We had a sermon on that recently.

    Honestly I love a pina colada or a margarita once in a blue moon. But it's not worth it, so I don't drink at all anymore. I never have been a drinker over the last several years, except for that once or twice a year margarita while eating out with a girlfriend. However, that's over now too.

    I love talking about subjects like this though. They come up in our group and because of you talking to Aaron about this recently, I have a place in the Bible we can go to and discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your thoughts.

    I do have an occasional drink myself. But, my question to Stu of late is. . . If we received a request for a hospital visit, we couldn't exactly go to make that visit while smelling of the margarita's we just drank, can we?

    This thought was due to Bobi's mom calling to let us know of the drunk driving accident. We had 1 drink and then went to the hospital to see our dieing friend.

    It has made me really dig down deep. I'm definitely leaning toward the not worth it side.

    ReplyDelete