Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Finding Our Way Again - A Review

I've been reading Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices. There's a total of eight books in The Ancient Practices series, including this lead-off book by author, Brian McLaren. The latter seven books deal with everything from fixed-hour prayer, observation of the Sabbath, fasting and many other spiritual practices. Each book is authored by different writers, although most of them, if not all of them, are edited by Phyllis Tickle. Things I've read, make me believe the concept was hers, although I am unsure of any of the specifics. This book, meant to be a primer for the other individual practices gives the reader a great overview of the practices that will be dealt with in the follow-up books.

I personally have read many McLaren books, although not nearly all of them, and would consider myself a fan of most of his works. This one is no different, and I believe McLaren was a great choice for this kick-off book in the series. His words flow smoothly and freely about the different disciplines and he does a great job at introducing them. He includes enough detail to entice his readers to continue their journey, while at the same time leaving his readers wanting more.


While I have been curious about several of these disciplines, and even a practicer of some, I have rarely held more than a topical understanding of most. I really liked this book because it helped me have a better understanding of the history of these practices, while at the same time, learn plenty more about them. Enough, in fact, to make me want to read more of the books in this series, specifically on fixed-hour prayer, sabbath rest, and the spirtual journey.

All-in-all, McLaren challenges us, as is usual for the majority of his books that I've read, to look in the mirror to make sure we are truly living the life of a disciple, and not just adopting a set of beliefs. One of the things I like best about Mclaren's work is that he strives to make you question why you believe in something, so that it becomes a way of life, and not just another belief. Pick this book up, you will not be disappointed. If for nothing else than to learn the history of these spiritual practices and have a broader knowledge about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment